Thursday 27 July 2006

I've put up a few photos of our trip to see the giraffes. They were amazing to watch! They are just so elegant. They really reminded me of the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park. You know the ones with the really long necks? We first saw the giraffes from the road. There was a whole family of them just sauntering around. These giraffes were really relaxed around people. They are protected in the Park du W so they happily pose for all the photos. We spent a good while taking photos of them but afterwards I felt I spent too much time trying to get good photos and not enough time actually watching them. Oh well.
Our drivers were insisting that we leave the giraffes without going into the park itself when the game keepers arrived. They were none too happy! We finally did go into the park and paid our contribution to keeping the West African Giraffe breeding program alive. I was kind of glad to be honest. It looks like they need all the money they can get. Cedric had done a great job negotiating with the drivers to bring us to the park. I must say I'd be lost without him!

On another note, we've measured OH!! and seen HO2 at night! FOr anyone not up on why I'm actually in Africa, let me explain. I here with Trevor and Cedric to measure the concentration of OH and HO2 in the atmosphere. OH and HO2 are the chemicals that break down all the nasty pollution in the atmosphere. Here in Africa there's not too much pollution but there are a lot of chemicals given off by the trees and plants as you go towards the tropical rain forests. We're worked long and hard to get the instrument ready to measure and I think we've done it! I'm working on the data now but we're definitely measuring something!! YEY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment