Friday 21 July 2006


Coming to Africa for the first time has been an interesting experience. We flew out with Royal Air Maroc and it was actually quite nice. We even arrived with all our bags, unlike the poor people on the Air France flight who ended up waiting a week for their bags.
I was hoping to say I'd had a G&T in Casablanca but everything was shut at 11pm. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to go back again another time.

The hotel is nice with a stunning view over the River Niger from the terrace. The birds flying over are amazing and the fruit bats are massive! The hotel is about 15 mins from the airport where the 146 is based but the poverty we see in the way can be a little disturbing. I wasn't quite sure what the locals would think of us but they've been great most of the time! It's heartbreaking to see a polio victim coming up to you asking for money but we've been warned not to give anyone money between the hotel and the met office. Otherwise it'll turn into pure mayhem. We're organising to give stuff at the end tho so I'm hoping that will help them a little. We've walked to the supermarket a couple of times so far and I was worried we'd be surrounded by kids but they just smile at us and say bonjour a lot. I think I might even be beginning to get hte accent right, as everyone is saying other stuff to me after that. Pity I can't understand a word of French!! Oh well. That's what I get for learning German at school...

Right, I've a flight to get ready for. Hopefully things will go well this time. Our laser doesn't seem to like africa as much as I do. I'll try and get thru some of the pics soon. Till then here are a few tasters.

I finally have a fone in Africa! If you want to text me, email me on the usual address and I'll get back to you with the number.

No comments:

Post a Comment